TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Want to know the difference between YouTube Premium and YouTube TV? You are on the right page.
YouTube is more than just a video-sharing site now. It’s become more versatile and entertaining. You can watch videos, but it offers two paid services: YouTube Premium and YouTube TV.
YouTube Premium gives you ad-free viewing, offline downloads, and access to YouTube Originals (exclusive shows and movies). It costs a monthly fee.
On the other hand, YouTube TV is a live TV streaming service. It offers access to live channels, DVR recording, and a variety of channels for a monthly fee as well.
So, in summary:
- YouTube Premium is for ad-free, offline, and exclusive content.
- YouTube TV is for live TV streaming and DVR recording.
For more on the difference between YouTube TV and YouTube Premium, let’s break it down:
YouTube Premium is a subscription service that provides several benefits to its users. Formerly called YouTube Red, it has expanded over time. It offers ad-free streaming and exclusive access to YouTube original content created by YouTube creators. You can also download videos for offline viewing, play videos in the background, and get access to Google Play Music.
With YouTube Premium, you can use YouTube Music, a music streaming service that lets you listen to songs on demand without ads. You can also watch videos offline, ensuring uninterrupted music and video enjoyment.
YouTube TV is like a modern replacement for traditional cable TV. It lets you watch live TV on your devices, such as phones, TVs, and tablets. There are over 85 channels available, covering sports, news, and entertainment. As long as you have a good internet connection, you can use YouTube TV from anywhere.
With YouTube TV, you get a DVR (digital video recorder) that lets you record as much as you want and watch it later. Plus, you can have six different user accounts under one subscription, so family members or friends can have their own settings and shows they like to watch.
So, What’s the difference?
The main difference between YouTube Premium and YouTube TV lies in the type of content they provide:
- YouTube Premium: This service primarily offers video content. It gives you benefits like watching videos without ads, downloading videos to watch offline, access to exclusive content, and additional features that regular YouTube doesn’t have. However, it does not include live TV.
- YouTube TV: In contrast, YouTube TV is all about live television. It functions like a traditional TV service but is delivered over the Internet. It includes features like a digital video recorder (DVR) for recording shows and watching them later. Unlike YouTube Premium, it doesn’t offer ad-free video streaming or offline video downloads.
In summary, YouTube Premium enhances your regular YouTube experience with various perks and exclusive content, while YouTube TV provides live TV channels and DVR functionality for a more traditional TV viewing experience.
How much is YouTube TV monthly?
YouTube TV costs $64.99 per month. This subscription gives you access to a streaming app with more than 80 live TV channels and the ability to watch on-demand shows and movies. Additionally, it includes cloud DVR service for up to three devices.
How much is YouTube Premium?
YouTube Premium costs $13.99 per month. With this subscription, you get benefits like an ad-free experience and the ability to watch videos offline on mobile devices.
Why is YouTube Premium so expensive?
YouTube Premium is relatively expensive because it offers several valuable features. Firstly, it eliminates ads on both YouTube and YouTube Music, which enhances the viewing and listening experience.
Secondly, it allows users to download videos for offline viewing and play content in the background while using other apps or when the screen is off. These features require investment in server infrastructure, licensing agreements, and development costs. The subscription price helps cover these expenses and supports content creators on the platform.
Additionally, YouTube offers a family plan, which allows multiple family members to share the benefits, making it more cost-effective for households. While it may seem pricey compared to the free version, the added convenience and ad-free experience make it worthwhile for many users.
Is YouTube Premium included with YouTube TV?
YouTube Premium and YouTube TV are distinct subscription services offered by YouTube:
- YouTube Premium: This is a subscription service that provides several benefits, including an ad-free experience while watching regular YouTube videos, offline downloads, access to YouTube Originals (exclusive content), and the ability to play videos in the background on mobile devices, even when the app is closed. YouTube Premium comes at an additional cost and is not included with YouTube TV.
- YouTube TV: This is a live TV streaming service that offers access to a variety of television channels, including sports, news, and entertainment networks. YouTube TV has its own separate subscription fee and does not automatically include YouTube Premium.
In summary, YouTube Premium and YouTube TV are separate memberships, each with its own set of features and costs. Subscribing to one does not automatically grant access to the other.
What does YouTube Premium include?
YouTube Premium is a subscription service that offers several benefits:
- Ad-Free Viewing: With YouTube Premium, you can watch videos on YouTube without any advertisements, making your viewing experience uninterrupted.
- Offline Downloads: You have the option to download videos to your device, allowing you to watch them without an internet connection, which can be helpful when you’re on the go.
- Background Playback: You can play videos in the background while using other apps on your device, ensuring that you can continue listening to audio from videos even when not actively watching them.
- YouTube Music Premium: As part of your YouTube Premium membership, you also get access to YouTube Music Premium. This service provides ad-free music streaming, offline downloads of songs, and background playback for music videos.
In summary, YouTube Premium includes an ad-free YouTube experience, offline video downloads, the ability to play videos in the background, and access to YouTube Music Premium.
What is the downside of YouTube TV?
The downside of YouTube TV is that many regional sports networks are unavailable, and Roku users experienced temporary difficulties due to a contract dispute, although that issue has now been resolved.
Pros of YouTube TV include unlimited cloud DVR storage and the ability to create up to 6 user accounts with 3 simultaneous streams.
Does YouTube Premium have movies?
Yes, YouTube Premium includes access to movies through YouTube Movies & Shows. As a YouTube Premium member, you can watch these movies without advertisements.
However, there are some limitations: with a YouTube Premium account, you can stream movies on up to two devices simultaneously, and with a YouTube Premium family plan, you can stream on up to four devices at the same time. This allows you to enjoy movies on multiple devices without interruptions if you have a YouTube Premium subscription.