TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
When your voicemail isn’t working on your Android phone, it can be frustrating. To quickly get it back up and running, you should identify the issue causing the problem. In this article, we’ll share eight effective methods to fix the ‘voicemail not working’ issue on your Android smartphone.
Voicemail not working on Android smartphones
To fix voicemail not working on your Android phone, try the solutions below:
Restart your phone
Restarting your phone means turning it off and then turning it back on. This action can fix problems with your phone, like bugs or glitches. After restarting, try calling your voicemail to see if you can access your messages.
Check voicemail settings
Checking Voicemail Settings involves verifying and adjusting the configurations related to your voicemail service on your phone. It’s important to do this when you encounter voicemail issues. Follow these steps:
- Open your Phone app.
- Access the Settings menu.
- Look for the Voicemail section.
- Confirm that all the information, such as the voicemail number and service provider, is accurate.
- If you discover any incorrect settings, change them back to their original values.
- Save the corrected settings.
This ensures that your voicemail works properly and resolves any problems you might be experiencing.
Request new voicemail settings
If you’re unable to access your voicemails even though your voicemail settings seem correct, it might be because those settings have become outdated or incorrect.
To resolve this issue, you can request new voicemail settings from your mobile network carrier. They will send these updated settings to you through a text message. Once you receive these new settings, you should apply and save them on your phone. This should help you regain access to your voicemail service.
Update your Voicemail app
To ensure your voicemail works smoothly, it’s important to update your network carrier’s specialized voicemail app regularly. Updates are released regularly to improve performance and fix issues.
If you keep using an older version of the app, your voicemail might not function properly. To check for updates, go to the Google Play Store and search for the voicemail app provided by your network carrier. If there’s an update available, install it to keep your voicemail app up to date and functioning correctly.
Disable call forwarding
Disabling call forwarding means stopping your incoming calls from being redirected to another number when you’re busy or unreachable. This is important because when call forwarding is active, callers won’t be able to leave you a voicemail message on your own number. If you’re experiencing issues with voicemail on your Android smartphone, here’s how to turn off call forwarding:
- Open the Dialer app on your phone and tap the three dots (ellipses) located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Select “Supplementary Services.”
- Choose “Call Forwarding.”
- Tap on each category and select “Disable” to turn off call forwarding for all situations.
Manually check your voicemail
To manually check your voicemail, follow these steps:
- Open the Phone app on your mobile device.
- Long-press the number 1 on your keypad.
If you can access your voicemail using this method, it means your voicemail number is working fine, and any issues you’re experiencing are likely related to your phone, not the voicemail service.
Use a third-party voicemail app
Using a third-party voicemail app means using a different app for managing your voicemail messages instead of the one provided by your phone’s network carrier.
This can be useful if you’re experiencing problems with your carrier’s voicemail app. You can find several third-party voicemail apps on the Google Play Store. Simply explore the options and choose the one that works best for you.
Reset network settings
“Resetting network settings is a troubleshooting step you can take when facing network-related problems on your phone. It erases all saved Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections, requiring you to reconnect to them, and restores your device’s network settings to their default state. Here’s how to do it:
- Open ‘Settings’ and choose ‘General Management.’
- Scroll down and tap ‘Reset.’
- Select ‘Reset Network Settings.’
- Confirm by choosing ‘Reset Settings.’
- Enter your PIN to complete the process.”
How do I activate my voicemail on my Android phone?
To activate voicemail on your Android phone, follow these steps:
- Open the Phone app on your Android device. You can usually find it represented by a phone receiver icon on the home screen.
- Press and hold the “1” key on the keypad.
- If it’s your first time setting up voicemail, you may see a message that says, “To set up voicemail, go to Menu > Settings.” Tap “OK” on this message prompt.
- If pressing the “1” key dials your voicemail service, listen to the instructions provided to complete the setup process.
- Access call settings by tapping the three vertical dots at the top right of the screen and then selecting “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap the “Voicemail” option.
- Tap “Advanced Settings.”
- Select “Service,” which is usually the first option in the list.
- Tap “My carrier.”
- Tap “Setup.” You should now see an area labeled “Voicemail number” with the value “Not set.”
- Tap “Voicemail number.”
- Enter your mobile phone number and tap “OK.” Your voicemail is now set up.
- Return to the Phone app. You can do this by tapping the back button until you see the keypad or by tapping the Phone icon on the home screen.
- Press and hold the “1” key on the keypad. This will dial your voicemail.
- Listen to and follow the instructions provided to complete the setup process. The specific steps may vary depending on your service provider, but you’ll typically be asked to set up an outgoing greeting, configure a password, and select playback settings.
To check your voicemail in the future, you can either tap and hold the “1” key or tap the voicemail notification on the screen.
How do I dial my voicemail number?
To dial your voicemail number, follow these simple steps:
- Open the dialer or phone app on your mobile device.
- Press and hold the number “1” on your keypad.
This action will automatically call your voicemail, allowing you to access your messages and voicemail settings.
How do I access my voicemail from another number?
To access your voicemail from another number:
- Call your own phone number from the other phone.
- Wait for your voicemail greeting to begin.
- During the greeting, press the “#” key.
- You will be prompted to enter your voicemail PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- After entering your PIN, you can listen to your voicemail messages.
That’s it! You can check your voicemail from a different phone using this method.
Why am I not receiving any messages on my voicemail?
If you’re not receiving messages on your voicemail, it might be because call forwarding on your phone is turned off. This means that when someone calls you and you don’t answer, the call isn’t redirected to your voicemail where they can leave a message.
To fix this issue, you should check your phone’s call forwarding settings and ensure it’s enabled so that missed calls are directed to your voicemail.
How do I get my visual voicemail to work on my Android?
To enable visual voicemail on your Android device, follow these steps:
- Open the “Phone” app on your Android device.
- In the top right corner, tap “More options.”
- Select “Settings.”
- Choose “Voicemail.”
- Toggle the switch to turn on “Visual voicemail.”
By following these steps, you’ll activate visual voicemail on your Android phone, allowing you to see and manage your voicemails more conveniently.
The bottom line
In summary, here are the top 8 simple methods to resolve the ‘voicemail not working’ problem on your Android phone:
- Restart Your Phone: Turn your phone off and back on again to refresh the system.
- Check Network Connection: Ensure you have a stable network connection, either cellular or Wi-Fi.
- Check Voicemail Settings: Verify your voicemail settings are correct and up-to-date.
- Clear Voicemail App Cache: If using a third-party voicemail app, clear its cache in the Settings>Apps menu.
- Update Voicemail App: Make sure your voicemail app is updated to the latest version from the app store.
- Visual Voicemail: If available, enable Visual Voicemail and follow on-screen instructions.
- Reset Network Settings: Reset network settings to default in your phone’s settings if all else fails.
- Contact Network Provider: If the issue persists, get in touch with your network provider’s support helpline for further assistance.
By following these steps, you can troubleshoot and potentially resolve the voicemail issue on your Android smartphone.