We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site. Learn more
To turn your smartphone into a hotspot, navigate to “Settings,” then “Mobile Hotspot & Tethering.” Tap on “Mobile Hotspot” to turn it on, set the name of your network and set a password. Now connect a computer or tablet to your phone’s Wi-Fi hotspot just as you would connect to any other Wi-Fi network.
A mobile hotspot is a feature that can transform your smartphone into a wireless internet router. This can come in handy during situations where the primary internet connection you are using goes down and you need to get back online as soon as possible. You can easily switch to your mobile hotspot and get your other devices back online in seconds.
The mobile hotspot feature allows your Android phone to share its mobile data with other devices, including computers, tablets, and other mobile phones. The Wi-Fi data-sharing feature is built into most Android devices. If your carrier doesn’t allow this, you can still get around it with the help of third-party apps.
How to turn your phone into a Wi-fi hotspot
The step-by-step instructions in this article may differ, depending on your phone’s manufacturer and the version of Android it’s running.
1. Plug the phone into a power source. The mobile hotspot feature can draw a lot of power depending on the device or the number of devices you plan to connect to it.
2. Go to the Home screen on your Android device. Most Android devices have a “Home” button for this with a picture of a house on it.
3. Open the Settings app. It’s found on the Home screen. Press your phone’s Menu button and select Settings.
4. In the “Settings” screen, tap More settings under Wireless & Networks, and then choose Tethering & Portable Hotspot. On a Samsung phone, tap Connections, then tap Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
5. Turn on the Mobile Hotspot toggle switch. On other Android devices, tap Set Up Wi-Fi Hotspot under “Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot.” The phone becomes a wireless access point and displays a message in the notification bar once activated.
6. Tap the Mobile Hotspot to give it a name, or SSID, and then change the default password (Use this password to connect your other devices). To do the same on a Samsung device, tap the hamburger menu at the top left, and then tap Configure Mobile Hotspot to access these settings.
7. Tap the Save or OK button to save your settings.
8. Connect your other devices to the hotspot to go online.
Find and connect to the new Wi-Fi hotspot
Once you activate the hotspot, connect your devices to it as if it were any other Wi-Fi router, it should appear in the list of networks on your other devices. Your other phones, tablet, or computer may notify you that new wireless networks are available.
1. To find the wireless networks on your Android phone, go to Settings, tap Wireless & networks, then tap Wi-Fi settings
2. Establish the connection; select the Wi-Fi hotspot and enter the password you created. Your other devices will now connect to the hotspot.
Some tips to consider
Tip 1. Don’t forget to turn off the hotspot feature when you no longer need shared Internet access for your other devices. Leaving the feature on always, even when not in use, will drain the cell phone battery.
Tip 2. By default, Wi-Fi hotspots are set up with WPA2 security and a generic password. If you use a hotspot in a public place or concerned about security, change the default password and make sure it’s strong but memorable.
Tip 3. Remember, data fees can add up quickly. When you use the mobile hotspot, data usage fees will apply, and they’re on top of the cost your wireless provider may charge for the basic service.
How to turn phone into hotspot FAQs
Answer to related questions people also ask:
Can my phone become a WIFI hotspot?
Almost every iOS or Android phone on the market today can be turned into a WiFi hotspot. You just need to make some little configuration which takes about a minute thereabout.
Is it bad for your phone to use it as a hotspot?
Using your phone as a hotspot will drain the battery life. One option is to always turn off your phone’s hotspot feature whenever you are not using it. Another option is to get a separate mobile hotspot device or a travel wireless router.
Is there a way to get unlimited hotspot?
There is no way to get unlimited hotspot. You’ll have to use a cell phone data plan to get unlimited mobile hotspot.
Does it cost extra to use your phone as a hotspot?
Generally, it doesn’t cost extra to use your phone as a mobile hotspot. In most cases, your hotspot cost is merged into your cell phone plan.
How do I get free WiFi?
Here are three easy ways to get a free Wi-Fi:
- Use public Wi-Fi.
- Share your friend’s internet.
- Tether your mobile smartphone.
Does leaving hotspot on use data?
Leaving your hotspot on does use data. It’s best to get unlimited data plans if you prefer leaving your hotspot to stay on 24/7.
Can a mobile hotspot replace home internet?
Your mobile phone hotspot can replace your home internet if you have unlimited data plan or a generous amount of hotspot data.
Which is better WIFI or hotspot?
WiFi is used as an access point for interconnection between wireless devices, while hotspot is set up using an access point device that is connected to the router. Wifi is more secure than a hotspot – Wifi is mostly private compare to hotspots which are usually used in public places.
Is a mobile hotspot better than a phone hotspot?
A dedicated mobile hotspot is better than a smartphone hotspot. There’s no risk of draining your phone’s battery life or expensive data fees for going over your phone data limit. Mobile hotspot also has a broader Wifi range allowing more devices to connect for internet access.