TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Renaming a program in Task Manager can be useful in many scenarios. For example, you might want to change the name of a program to make it easier to identify or to give it a more descriptive name. Whatever the reason may be, the process is straightforward and can be done quickly.
In the “Processes” section of the Windows Task Manager, if you come across a program that has a blank “Description” field, you have the option to change the name of the process to make it easier for you to identify which program it corresponds to. To change the name of a process in Task Manager, you can modify the name field that is displayed in the program’s properties.
Renaming a Program in Task Manager
Here are the steps to change the name of a process in Task Manager:
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc or by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting “Task Manager.”
- In the Task Manager window, navigate to the “Processes” tab.
- Locate the process for which you want to change the name. If the “Description” field is blank, it might be more challenging to identify the program.
- Right-click on the process and select “Properties” from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, you will see a field that displays the current name of the process. This field is usually labeled “Name” or “Image name.”
- Modify the name field to a new name that you prefer. This can be any descriptive name that helps you recognize the program.
- After changing the name, click on the “OK” button to save the changes.
Please note that changing the name of a process in Task Manager only modifies the displayed name in Task Manager itself. It does not change the actual file or program name on your computer. The renamed process will be identified by the new name in Task Manager going forward, which can assist you in distinguishing it from other processes.
It’s important to exercise caution when making changes in Task Manager, especially when dealing with system processes or unfamiliar programs. Modifying the process name should only be done for personal organizational purposes and does not affect the functionality of the program or the operating system.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some helpful tips and tricks to keep in mind when renaming a program in Task Manager:
- Make sure to choose a name that is easy to remember and descriptive. This will make it easier to identify the program in the future.
- Avoid using special characters or symbols in the program name, as this can cause issues with compatibility and may even prevent the program from running.
- If you’re unsure what a particular process is, it’s always a good idea to do a quick Google search to ensure that it’s not a critical system process before renaming it.
The bottom line
Renaming a program in Windows Task Manager is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. By following the instructions outlined in this guide, you can quickly and easily change the name of any program running on your system.
With these helpful tips and tricks, you can make the process even easier and ensure that you choose a name that is easy to remember and descriptive. Thank you for reading our guide, and we hope it was helpful!