TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
In Minecraft, there is an item called the Potion of Weakness. When you consume this potion, it applies a weakening effect to you, reducing your attack damage by 0.5 for a duration of 1 minute and 30 seconds. This potion is available in various versions of the game, including Minecraft Java Edition (for PC/Mac), Pocket Edition (PE), Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, Windows 10 Edition, and Education Edition.
Although the Potion of Weakness may not have many direct combat applications, its Splash Potion variant is noteworthy. When thrown as a Splash Potion, it can weaken hostile mobs, effectively turning a disadvantage into an advantage.
Additionally, a Potion of Weakness serves a unique purpose in the game, as it can be used to cure zombie villagers. This is a crucial step in the process of converting a zombie villager back into a regular villager, which can be beneficial for trading and village development.
If you’re interested in crafting a Potion of Weakness in Minecraft, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide in this article.
To make a Potion of Weakness (1:30), you need these items:
- Brewing Stand
- Crafting Table
- Fermented Spider Eye
- Water Bottle
- Blaze Powder
The key ingredient for this potion is the Fermented Spider Eye, which can be challenging to obtain because it requires brown mushrooms. Despite this, the Potion of Weakness recipe is relatively simpler compared to many other potion recipes.
Sure, here’s an expanded explanation of the steps for brewing a Potion of Weakness in the game:
Step 1: Open the Brewing Stand
- To start brewing a Potion of Weakness, first, open the Brewing Stand, which is a special crafting station used for creating various potions in the game.
Step 2: Add the Blaze Powder in the left-most box to activate the Brewing Stand
- To power up the Brewing Stand, you’ll need to add Blaze Powder to the left-most box. This step activates the brewing process.
Step 3: Place the Water Bottle in one of the bottom boxes in the Brewing Stand menu
- Now, take a Water Bottle and place it in one of the bottom boxes in the Brewing Stand’s interface. You can add up to three Water Bottles at once if you want to make multiple potions simultaneously.
Step 4: Put the Fermented Spider Eye on the top box in the Brewing Stand menu
- In the top box of the Brewing Stand’s interface, place a Fermented Spider Eye. This ingredient is crucial for brewing a Potion of Weakness.
Step 5: When the brewing process is complete, the Fermented Spider Eye will disappear and your Potion of Weakness (1:30) will be ready
- Wait for the brewing process to complete. During this time, the Fermented Spider Eye will be used up, and you’ll obtain a Potion of Weakness that lasts for 1 minute and 30 seconds. This potion can be used strategically in the game.
Additionally, you can convert the Potion of Weakness into a Splash Potion of Weakness, which can be thrown at opponents as a weapon. It reduces their attack damage by 0.5, giving you an advantage in combat.
Potion of weakness Minecraft
In Minecraft, a potion of weakness is a temporary item that can be created using a specific recipe. This potion isn’t widely used because it has a short duration and weakens the player who consumes it. However, it has a clever application.
To make a potion of weakness, you’ll need a brewing stand and the following ingredients:
- Blaze powder (used as fuel for the brewing stand).
- 1 to 3 water bottles (placed in the bottom boxes of the brewing stand).
- 1 to 3 fermented spider eyes (added to the ingredient box of the brewing stand).
Here’s how you create it:
- Go to a brewing stand and open the crafting menu.
- Add blaze powder to fuel the brewing stand and initiate the brewing process.
- Place 1 to 3 water bottles in the bottom slots of the brewing stand.
- Add 1 to 3 fermented spider eyes to the ingredient slot of the brewing stand.
- Remove the potion from the brewing stand when it’s done.
Now, you might wonder why you’d want to make a potion of weakness. Although it might seem counterproductive because it applies an attack damage debuff for 1 minute and 30 seconds, it has a valuable use. The extent of the debuff varies between Minecraft editions.
In the Java Edition (JE), the debuff reduces attack damage by four (equivalent to two hearts of health). In the Bedrock Edition, it reduces damage by 20% initially and then by an additional flat 0.5 (a quarter of a heart). The tooltip in Bedrock Edition might show you how much damage you’d lose with your current weapon.
This potion’s uniqueness lies in its potential to nullify enemy mob attacks effectively, depending on the strength of the enemy’s weapons or attacks. Instead of using it on your character, you can use it as an ingredient in the splash potion of weakness recipe for more strategic gameplay.
How to get the Items and ingredients you need for a potion of weakness
To create a Potion of Weakness in Minecraft, you’ll need four essential elements:
- Blaze Powder: Obtain this by placing one blaze rod in a crafting bench, resulting in two blaze powders. Blaze rods are acquired as loot from Blaze mobs in the Nether.
- Water Bottles: Craft water bottles by using three glass blocks in a V-shape on a crafting table. You can smelt sand to make glass at a 1:1 ratio if you don’t have glass.
- Fermented Spider Eyes: Create these by combining sugar, brown mushrooms, and spider eyes in a 1:1:1 ratio on the crafting table. Sugar can be crafted from sugarcane, and you can find brown mushrooms in various biomes, including taiga, swamp, and the Nether.
- Brewing Stand: Craft a brewing stand using one blaze rod and three cobblestone blocks. Place the cobblestone blocks in the lower row of the crafting table and the blaze rod in the middle.
If you plan to make a batch of Splash Potions of Weakness, you’ll also need gunpowder. Get gunpowder by defeating Creepers before they explode. Setting up a Creeper farm is an efficient way to gather enough gunpowder for potions and other recipes.
Blaze Killing mini guide
Creating a potion of weakness in Minecraft involves getting blaze rods and blaze powder from Blazes in the Nether. Here’s a mini guide on dealing with Blazes:
- Enchanted diamond armor.
- Enchanted diamond sword.
- Ranged weapons.
- Food for health.
- Cobblestone stacks (for building cover).
- Dodging: Move quickly to avoid Blaze fireballs. Stay aware of your surroundings.
- Snowball Strategy: If you can hit a Blaze with snowballs while avoiding its fireballs, it takes eight hits to kill it.
- Safe Space: Build a small space in the Nether with an opening. It should be small enough to avoid Blaze fireballs but big enough for you to shoot arrows or snowballs from safety.
- Blocking with Sword: Use your sword to block and deflect Blaze fireballs back at them. This method is slower but can be effective.
- The best and most efficient strategy is to combine dodging, using cover, and shooting ranged weapons or snowballs.
Blaze rods source:
- Blaze rods can only be obtained by killing Blaze mobs in the Nether. There are no other means to acquire them.
By following these steps, you can efficiently collect blaze rods and blaze powder for brewing potions of weakness in Minecraft.
How many blaze rods do Blazes drop in Minecraft?
In Minecraft, when you defeat a Blaze, there’s a 50% chance it will drop one blaze rod. If you use a looting enchantment on your weapon, you can increase your chances of getting more blaze rods. In the best-case scenario, with looting, killing one Blaze can give you up to four blaze rods, which you can then craft into eight blaze powder.
What’s the best way to kill a Blaze?
The best way to kill a Blaze in Minecraft is to ensure that you or one of your tamed wolves delivers the final blow. When you or your tamed wolf deals the killing hit, the Blaze is most likely to drop Blaze rods as loot. However, if a Blaze dies due to water exposure, it won’t drop Blaze rods as loot.
Does the potion of weakness work on Iron Golems?
Yes, the potion of weakness works on Iron Golems. When you throw a splash potion of weakness at an Iron Golem, it becomes weaker, making it easier to defeat, especially for players who may not have strong equipment. This can be helpful for players in the early stages of the game.
How many blaze rods do I need?
To be well-prepared in the game, most players aim to collect at least eight blaze rods. These blaze rods are crucial because they can be turned into blaze powder, which is a necessary ingredient in crafting Eyes of Ender.
These Eyes of Ender are essential for locating and activating the End Portal, which you need to enter the End dimension, defeat the Ender Dragon, and complete the game. So, eight blaze rods are a common goal for players to ensure they have enough blaze powder for this critical part of the game.
Where can I find the potion of weakness in Minecraft Creative Mode?
In Minecraft Creative Mode, you can locate the potion of weakness as follows:
- Java Edition: Look for it in the “Food & Drinks” category within the Creative Inventory.
- Windows 10, Xbox, PlayStation, and other platforms: You can find the potion of weakness in the “Miscellaneous” section of the Creative Inventory menu.
Potions of weakness – An introduction to Endgame Minecraft ingredient farming
In the world of Minecraft’s endgame, where you face challenging adventures, “Potions of Weakness” play a crucial role. These potions might seem a bit tricky to craft due to the need for rare ingredients, particularly blaze powder. However, they are surprisingly cost-effective compared to other potion recipes in the game. Notably, unlike most potions that require nether warts as a crucial brewing ingredient, the potion of weakness stands out as the only exception.
If your aim is to be thoroughly prepared for demanding encounters and battles in the game, taking the time to brew several batches of “Splash Potions of Weakness” is an outstanding strategy. These potions, when thrown, can weaken your adversaries, making them less dangerous and easier to handle. This simple but potent tool can significantly enhance your chances of success in Minecraft’s endgame adventures.