We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site. Learn more
This article is a step-by-step process on how to get Kodi Subtitles by using OpenSubtitles.org. This guide will also benefit you if you would like to view movies and TV shows in a different language.
The OpenSubtitles add-on enables downloading subtitles (also known as closed captioning) for movies and TV shows in excellent quality.
OpenSubtitles is a free Kodi addon and the most popular subtitle service providing millions of subtitles in 75 languages. There are new subtitles added every day, even for the latest TV shows and movies.
OpenSubtitles has many exciting features, one of which is the ability to see how certain subtitles are rated by other users allowing you to quickly determine which subtitle will work perfectly well with your Kodi device before you download it.
For your privacy and security, it is recommended to use a VPN with Kodi. We use ExpressVPN, which is the most secure and fastest VPN for Kodi. ExpressVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee to try it risk-free plus 3 free months on the annual plan.
1. Launch Kodi.
2. Click “Add-ons” and then click the “Add-on browser icon.”
3. Click “Install from repository.”
4. Click “Kodi Add-on repository.”
5. Click “Subtitles,” then click “OpenSubtitles.org.”
6. Click “Install” and click “OK” to accept the installation of additional add-ons
Wait till you see the “Add-on installed” notification on your screen.
After you finish installing the OpenSubtitles addon, you’ll need to go to OpenSubtitles.org to register as a new user and configure the addon appropriately.
Register and configure OpenSubtitles
1. To register, go to https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/newuser
2. You will receive a confirmation email to verify.
3. Go back to the Kodi home page and click “Add-ons.”
4. Click the “Add-on browser icon” and then click “My add-ons.”
5. Click “Subtitles,” then click “OpenSubtitles.org”
6. Click “Configure.”
7. Click “Username,” enter the username you used for the registration and click “OK.”
8. Click “Password,” enter the password you used for the registration and click “OK.”
9. Click “OK.” again.
Change the configuration of Kodi
1. Go back to the Kodi home page
2. Click the “Settings icon” and then click “Player setting.”
3. Hover over “Language.”
4. Click “Preferred subtitle language” and select the language of your choice.
5. Click “Character set” and select the language of your choice.
6. Click “Languages” to download subtitles and select the language you want.
7. Click “Default TV show service” and select “OpenSubtitles.org by OpenSubtitles.”
8. Click “Default movies service” and select “OpenSubtitles.org by OpenSubtitles.”
Finally, to see subtitles when watching movies or TV shows, follow the steps below:
1. Once you start watching the video, click the “Subtitles icon, ” then click “Download subtitle….”
2. Click “OpenSubtitles.org by OpenSubtitles” as the subtitles service.
3. Select a subtitle from the list
That’s all. Kodi subtitle is now fully set up. Enjoy!
How do I turn off Kodi Subtitles?
To turn off Kodi subtitles, all you need to do is uninstall the OpenSubtitles addon. This will remove any subtitles while watching your movies or TV show.
Do Kodi Subtitles work on Exodus?
Yes, Kodi subtitles can work on any addon, including Exodus and Exodus Redux.
Can I get subtitles on Kodi 18?
Yes, OpenSubtitles will work for nearly all versions of Kodi, including the newest version.