We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site. Learn more
- You can easily find the MAC address on your Android device by going through the settings menu.
- Knowing the MAC address of your smartphone can be useful for diagnosing network issues.
What is MAC address and what is it used for?
MAC address, which stands for Media Access Control address, is a twelve character long unique identifier codes assigned to each wireless device. Finding the MAC address of your Android device is very easy and can be useful in many ways.
If you want to access a MAC restricted wireless network, you must find your Android device’s MAC address and provide it to the network administrator.
Another use-case for knowing the MAC address on your Android phone is if you have a router that allows you to prioritize internet traffic by devices through Quality of Service (QoS) settings. To locate and view your mobile phone or tablet’s MAC address, follow the instructions below:
There are two primary ways to find MAC address on an Android device.
How to find MAC address on Android from device information
This is the first and easier method to find your MAC address.
1. Tap the menu icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap About device, or About tablet.
4. On the “About device” section, select the first option, which is Status.
5. Scroll down, and you’ll find your Android’s MAC address under WI-FI MAC address.
You can tap and press on the MAC address to copy it.
Alternatively, you can use the second method from WiFi advanced settings. Follow the steps below:
How to find MAC address on Android from WI-Fi settings
1. Launch the Settings menu.
2. Tap Wireless & networks or Network & Internet.
3. Tap Wi-Fi.
4. On the Wi-Fi settings menu, tap the gear icon on the top right. On some Android devices, you should see the MAC address here. If not, tap the name of your Wi-Fi.
5. Tap Advanced. You should see your Android MAC address under “Network details.”
Note: Your device MAC address is unique and permanent, do not share it with anyone except trusted network administrators. Keep it private, so attackers cannot use it to hack through Wi-Fi networks and jeopardize information saved on your Android device.
Find MAC address on Android FAQs
Answer to related questions people also ask:
How do I find my MAC address on my phone?
Go to Settings. Scroll down and select About phone. Then, tap Status (or Hardware information). Scroll down to the Wi-Fi MAC address – that’s your device’s MAC address.
How do I find my MAC address on my Samsung phone?
Select Settings > About phone > Status > Scroll down to MAC address.
Can you track a device by MAC address?
You can’t find a stolen device from its MAC address, nor can you find the identity behind the address. Much like IP addresses, MAC addresses are assigned to devices on a network and can be determined with tools such as Command Prompt.
Image credit: XeusHack