TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
It’s easy to delete a Netflix profile using either a web browser or the Netflix app on a mobile device. You can also delete a Netflix profile on a streaming device or smart TV. But you can’t delete your main profile (the first profile you created) unless you cancel your account. Read on for more.
Netflix profiles are great for sharing an account with friends and families. You can create as many as five profiles on a single Netflix account, with each profile maintaining its viewing history and recommendations based on the watcher’s preferences. By creating more than one profile, your kids’ movie preferences will never influence your Netflix recommendations.
You also might want to delete an old profile that’s no longer in use, or you no longer want. Fortunately, deleting a profile from your Netflix account is easy to do, either from a mobile device, web browser, TV, or a streaming device like an Xbox or smart TV stick — You just need to click or tap a few options. Note that you can’t delete your primary Netflix profile (the first profile you created while signing up for Netflix).
Sign up to Amazon prime video for free – Watch thousands of movies & TV shows. Try Amazon prime video free for 30 days
Also, note that deleting a Netflix profile is entirely different from deleting a Netflix account. When you delete a Netflix profile, you only delete that particular profile within the account — it does not affect other profiles, neither does it affect the general account settings. Other watchers can continue to use their profiles without any impact, with preferences and settings remaining unchanged.
Why can’t I delete my Netflix account primary profile?
Your primary profile on Netflix is permanent; it’s the first profile you created while setting up your account — You can’t delete it. To remove your primary profile, you’ll have to cancel your Netflix account entirely.
Here is how to delete a profile from your Netflix account using a computer, smartphone, tablet, or television.
Delete a Netflix profile from a PC or Mac, using a web browser
If you mostly watch Netflix on your desktop, laptop, or Mac computer, you can easily use your preferred browser to delete profiles from the service’s website.
1. Open Netflix in your preferred browser and log in to your account.
2. Click the profile icon at the top-right of the window to open a drop-down menu, and select Manage Profiles.
3. Click the pencil icon in the center of the profile you wish to remove.
4. Click Delete Profile. located at the bottom of the window next to “Save” and “Cancel.” Netflix will display a prompt informing you to confirm your decision; click Delete Profile again.
That’s it! You’ve successfully deleted that Netflix profile and its viewing history. You’ll be automatically returned to the “Manage profiles” page; click ‘Done‘ to return to the Profile Selection page.
Delete a Netflix profile on a smartphone or tablet
If you primarily use Netflix on your Android device, you don’t need to use a web browser to remove a profile. You can use the Netflix app, which offers the option to delete unwanted profiles with a few taps.
Follow these steps to remove a Netflix account on an Android phone or tablet device.
- Launch the Netflix app.
- Tap More (the three horizontal lines).
- Select Manage Profiles just below the list of profiles.
- Tap the profile you wish to delete.
- Tap Delete Profile. Netflix will display a prompt informing you to confirm your decision, select Yes to delete the profile.
Delete a Netflix profile on your iPhone or iPad (iOS)
Follow these steps to remove a Netflix profile on an iPhone or iPad:
- Launch the Netflix mobile app.
- Tap More (three horizontal lines) to open the profile menu.
- Tap the profile listed at the top of the menu to go to the Who’s Watching page.
- Tap Edit in the top-right of the screen. Pencil icons will appear in the center of your profiles.
- Tap the profile you wish to delete.
- Tap Delete Profile. Netflix will display a pop-up window asking if you are sure, confirm your decision. That’s it! The profile, along with all of its content and history, will be deleted from your account.
Delete a Netflix profile on a Smart TV or streaming device
The vast majority of Netflix users watch their favorite movies and TV shows using smart TVs and streaming media players — which is undoubtedly the best way to enjoy the finest contents the streaming service has to offer.
Although every smart TV or streaming device (such as a Roku player, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV Cube) is slightly different, the process of deleting a Netflix profile on these devices is pretty much the same.
Here is how to delete a Netflix profile on Roku and Apple TV:
- Navigate to the profile you wish to delete.
- Select the small pencil icon below the profile.
- Select Delete Profile from the row of options, and then confirm your decision.
The profile deletion method above is straightforward and should apply to most media players or smart TV devices — the process is generally the same; you just need to go to your Netflix account profiles and select the pencil icon beneath the particular profile you want to delete.
Here is how to delete a Netflix profile on Amazon Fire TV:
- Using your remote, navigate to the menu options on the left, and select Switch Profiles.
- You’ll see all the profiles in your Netflix account along with a small pencil icon directly under each profile. Select that pencil icon under the profile you’d like to delete.
- Select Delete Profile and then confirm your decision.
As you can see from the instructions above, the process is similar on Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV — so you should be able to delete a Netflix profile regardless of which streaming box or smart TV you’re using.
If you simply can’t figure it out for whatever reason, remember you can always do it on the Netflix app on your smartphone or a web browser on your PC.
Sign up for Amazon prime video for free – Watch thousands of movies & TV shows. Try Amazon prime video free for 30 days
Delete Netflix profile FAQs
Answer to related questions people also ask:
How do I delete a profile on the Netflix app?
To delete a Netflix profile on your mobile device: Launch the Netflix app > tap “More” located in the bottom-right of the screen > tap “Manage Profiles” at the top of the screen > tap the profile you wish to delete > tap “Delete.” Confirm your choice by tapping “Yes.”
Why can’t I delete my Netflix profile?
When you created your Netflix account, you created the first profile alongside your account — that first profile is your primary profile that can’t be deleted. The best you can do is rename it or make other tweaks like changing the profile language and editing maturity ratings, but you can’t delete the first profile you created for your Netflix account. To remove the profile, you’ll have to cancel your Netflix account completely.
Does Netflix give refunds?
Unfortunately, Netflix does not give refunds. Once you pay for a Netflix subscription, you can’t get a refund, but you cancel at any time and continue to have access to the service till the end of your billing period.