We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site. Learn more
WhatsApp has a plain background and wallpaper by default, but it’s actually more customizable than most messenger apps.
Changing your WhatsApp chats background and wallpaper is one of the best ways to add some personal touch and feel. There are plenty of pre-installed pictures, colors, and of course your own personal photos.
The process of changing your WhatsApp background is pretty much the same on an iPhone or Android device, but we will show you how to do it on either of both devices.
Here’s how to customize your WhatsApp background and wallpaper:
How to change your WhatsApp background
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android device.
2. Tap Settings. On iPhone, “Settings” is located on the right of the bottom menu. On Android, tap the “three menu dots” in the top-right, and then “Settings.”
3. Tap Chats.
4. Tap Chat Wallpaper if you’re using an iPhone, or “Wallpaper” on Android.
5. You have three options to choose from here:
- “Wallpaper Library” is a collection of preloaded WhatsApp’s wallpapers.
- “Solid Colors” is a collection of background color options that you can choose from.
- “Photos” (or “Gallery” on Android) is a collection of all the pictures in your photo library.
6. Choose the wallpaper you want among the three options, and then you’ll be directed to “Wallpaper Preview” to see a preview of the wallpaper you chose. This is where you can make adjustment if necessary.
7. When you’re happy with your wallpaper, tap on Set in the bottom-right. Nothing more! You’ve successfully changed the background for all your WhatsApp chats.
Change WhatsApp background (FAQs)
Answer to related questions people also ask:
How do I set a custom background on WhatsApp? / Can you change the background on WhatsApp chat?
To set a custom wallpaper for a WhatsApp chat on iPhone and Android: Open a WhatsApp chat > tap the three-dots icon > tap Wallpaper. Select the wallpaper you want > swipe right or left to preview > tap Set Wallpaper > adjust the Wallpaper to your likeness. That’s it.
How do I change my WhatsApp background to black?
To use dark mode on WhatsApp: Tap the three-dots icon and tap Settings > Chats > Theme. Choose one of the following options:
- Dark: Turn dark mode on.
- Light: Turn dark mode off.
- System default: Enable WhatsApp dark mode to match the settings of your phone. Go to device Settings > Display > turn Dark theme on or off.
How can I customize my WhatsApp?
You can customize your WhatsApp by selecting from any of the images saved on your phone. To customize your WhatsApp theme:
- Tap the three-dots icon and tap Settings.
- Tap Chats and then tap Wallpaper.
- Tap your phone image gallery and select your choice to set as your theme wallpaper.
Why has my WhatsApp background changed to black? / Why is WhatsApp background black?
If the theme of your device is set to dark, your WhatsApp theme will automatically default to black. To change it from dark color, you’ll need to change your Phone theme to light – to do that: Open the Settings app on your phone and go to Display & Brightness > Appearance, select the light option to turn off dark mode.
How do I change my WhatsApp to light mode?
Open WhatsApp and tap the menu icon > Settings > Chats. Select the “Wallpaper” button. You’ll see a preview of your current wallpapers. If you are in Light mode, a light theme wallpaper will be at the top. To change your WhatsApp from dark mode to light mode, you’ll need to switch your device to light mode by going to the Appearance section in your Settings app.