We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site. Learn more
- You can cancel an Uber ride without penalty before and after been matched with a driver. You can also cancel a scheduled Uber ride.
- Canceling an Uber ride is easy to do, but you’ll have to cancel within five minutes of been booked. It could be as low as two minutes in some cities.
- If you cancel after five minutes of been matched, you’ll have to pay a penalty fee of between $5 and $10.
So, you’ve ordered an Uber ride, but due to some unforeseen circumstance, you now want to cancel it. No problem! Canceling a scheduled Uber ride is quick and simple. Just know time is of the essence because if you don’t cancel within five minutes of been matched with a driver, you risk being charged a cancellation fee. Note that some cities do require riders to cancel within two minutes.
If you cancel beyond that grace period, you’ll incur a $5 fee for standard Uber and $10 for UberBlack. You can always contact Uber for a review and refund if you can provide a good reason.
Here’s how to cancel a scheduled or immediate Uber ride before and after being matched with a driver.
How to cancel an Uber ride before being matched with a driver
1. Scroll down and tap the bar at the bottom of the screen that reads Finding your ride.
2. Tap Cancel.
3. Tap YES, CANCEL to confirm.
How to cancel an Uber ride after being matched with a driver
1. Tap the bar at the bottom of your screen that displays your driver’s information.
2. Tap Cancel Trip.
3. Tap YES, CANCEL to confirm your cancellation. You’ll see a message that confirms you won’t incur any fees.
How to cancel a scheduled Uber ride
1. Tap the “three parallel menu bar” located at the upper-left of the Uber app screen.
2. Tap Your Trips from the list of menu options.
3. Tap Upcoming.
4. Tap Cancel Ride, then confirm again by tapping CANCEL RIDE. If you scheduled multiple trips, scroll to locate the one you want to cancel.
As far as you canceled before the driver accepts your ride, you won’t incur any charges.
About King Osaghae
King Osaghae is a technology researcher and writer who’s been writing about tech-related topics and trends since 2018. He covers everything tech from computers to cameras to online business software. He is the managing editor at TechZerg, meaning that he oversees all the articles TechZerg produces.