TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If your Facebook Marketplace messages are not appearing in Messenger, you won’t be able to communicate with the person you’re buying from or selling to. The truth is you’re not alone. This is a common complaint from Facebook Marketplace users across a range of different devices.
Facebook Marketplace is a platform where you can find, purchase, and sell various items. You can search for products in your local area or ones that can be shipped to you. Businesses can use it to showcase their stock, including retail items, vehicles, home rentals, and more. Additionally, if you prefer not to list your items directly on the marketplace, you have the option to advertise them.
Why can’t I see messages from Marketplace on Messenger?
You might not see messages from Marketplace on Messenger for a few reasons:
- Chat Relocation: The Marketplace chat has been relocated. Sometimes, if you marked your item as sold, you may have accidentally archived the chat. This can make it seem like messages have disappeared.
- Messenger Issues: At times, Facebook Messenger experiences technical problems and may be temporarily unavailable. In such cases, you’ll need to wait for Messenger to become operational again.
- Updates: Messenger has undergone several updates over time. Some of these updates changed the location of the Marketplace chat.
To find your Marketplace chat, follow these steps:
- Open Messenger and tap on “Chats.”
- Look for the “Marketplace” section under your chats.
Alternatively, for certain users, you can access the Marketplace chat by tapping on your profile picture and selecting “Marketplace.”
Why did my Marketplace messages disappear on Messenger?
Your Marketplace messages disappeared on Messenger because they were likely archived when your item was marked as sold.
Archiving messages is a way to hide them from your main chat list, but they can be found in the archived folder. This helps keep your inbox organized. To locate your archived messages, you can go to the archived folder in Messenger settings.
How to fix Facebook Marketplace messages not showing on Messenger
To address the issue of Facebook Marketplace messages not appearing on Messenger, follow these steps:
- Enable Messaging: Ensure that your Facebook settings allow others to message you. This can be adjusted in your privacy settings.
- Check Archived Chats: Sometimes, your Marketplace messages might be archived unintentionally. Check your archived chats on Messenger to see if the messages are there.
- Reinstall Messenger: If the problem persists, uninstall and then reinstall the Messenger app. This can sometimes resolve issues related to message display.
- Use Facebook App: If none of the above steps work, consider using the Facebook app to access your Marketplace messages. They may be located in your regular chats or in the “Marketplace” section of the app.
- Update Messenger: If you’ve recently updated Messenger, the location of the Marketplace chat might have changed. Look for it either in your chats or in the menu under “Marketplace.”
- Check Messenger Status: In rare cases, Messenger might experience technical difficulties. To verify if this is the case, visit downdetector.com/status/facebook-messenger/. If there is a spike in the graph, it suggests that Messenger is experiencing issues, and you may need to wait for a few hours for it to return to normal operation.
By following these steps, you can troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem of Facebook Marketplace messages not showing on Messenger.
Fix 1: Allow others on Facebook to message you
If you want to enable others on Facebook to send you messages and you’re facing the issue where Facebook Marketplace messages not showing in Messenger, you can follow these steps:
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Select “Privacy & safety.”
- Choose “Message delivery.”
- Tap on “Others on Facebook.”
- Next, select “Message requests.”
By following these steps, you will allow people to send you messages on Facebook. If you’ve done these steps and still face issues with Marketplace messages not appearing in Messenger, you can try force exiting Messenger and then reopening it. This might help resolve the problem.
Fix 2: Check your archived chats
To find your Facebook Marketplace messages that are not showing on Messenger, follow these steps:
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Select “Archived chats.”
- Look for your Facebook Marketplace chat.
Sometimes, you may have unintentionally archived a Marketplace chat, especially after marking an item as sold. Checking your archived chats should help you locate these missing messages.
Fix 3: Uninstall and reinstall Messenger
To uninstall and reinstall Messenger, follow these steps:
- Tap and hold the Messenger app to delete it from your device.
- Open the App Store (on iOS devices) or Google Play Store (on Android devices).
- Search for “Messenger” in the store’s search bar.
- Select the Messenger app from the search results and tap the “Install” or “Download” button.
- Once the installation is complete, open the Messenger app.
- Log in to your Facebook account using your credentials.
- Check if your Marketplace messages are now visible. This step should resolve any issues with your Marketplace messages.
Note: Reinstalling Messenger will log you out of all accounts, so you’ll need to log in again. However, your chats will be saved because they are stored in Facebook’s database.
Fix 4: Use the Facebook app instead
If you’re having trouble seeing your messages on Facebook Marketplace through Messenger, follow these steps:
- Use the Facebook app instead.
- Open the Facebook app.
- Tap on the “Marketplace” option.
- Then, tap on your Profile icon.
- Select “Inbox.”
- Choose either “Selling” or “Buying,” depending on the chat you want to access.
- Finally, open the specific chat you want to view.
Please note that if you’re unable to access your Marketplace messages using the Messenger app, you’ll need to use the Facebook app to access them instead.
Can I get Marketplace messages on Messenger?
Certainly! You can access your Marketplace messages on Messenger. Here’s how:
- Mobile Device (Phone or Tablet): Open the Messenger app, tap on the menu (usually represented by three lines or dots), and look for “Marketplace” in the menu options. Tap on it to access your buying and selling chats.
- Desktop (Computer): Open Facebook on your computer and click on the Messenger icon, which is usually located in the upper-right corner of the screen. In the Messenger window, you should see a “Marketplace” option. Click on it to access your Marketplace messages for buying and selling.
How can I restore archived Marketplace messages?
To restore archived Marketplace messages, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Archived” section in your Marketplace messages.
- Find the chat you want to recover.
- To read the messages, you can simply open the chat from the “Archived” section.
- To completely unarchive the chat, press and hold on the chat and then tap the “Unarchive” button that appears.
- Alternatively, sending a new message to the same person will also bring the chat back to your inbox.
Is it safe to send messages via Marketplace?
Sending messages via Facebook Marketplace is generally safe. The chats on Marketplace have end-to-end encryption, which means they are private and secure. However, like with any messaging app, there’s a small risk of someone accessing your account if they know your password.
To enhance your safety, consider using strong, unique passwords and enabling two-factor authentication for your Facebook account.
Recover lost Marketplace messages with these techniques
When you find that your messages in a marketplace chat have disappeared, there’s no need to worry. You can employ various techniques and solutions listed above to recover them and resume your conversation.
In most cases, these messages are not permanently lost but merely misplaced. So, by following the recommended methods discussed in this article, you can retrieve your marketplace messages and continue your discussions.