TechZerg is reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
YouTube hosts a vast range of content spanning from child-friendly programming to movies, inappropriate content, tutorials, and everything in between. As a responsible parent, you may feel compelled to regulate your kids’ access to the site, particularly when they’re unsupervised, to prevent them from encountering unsavory or misleading material.
The question is, how can you block YouTube on your Smart TV?
The good news is that most Smart TVs have a built-in parental control function that allows you to block YouTube with ease. By following a simple procedure, you can adjust the settings to limit the type of content minors can access, either by activating controls at different levels or by blocking the app’s launch entirely.
How to Block YouTube on Smart TV
If you have a Smart TV at home, it’s important to ensure that your kids or other family members are not accessing inappropriate content on it. Luckily, most Smart TVs come equipped with parental control features that allow you to restrict access to certain content based on different age levels. In this guide, we will take you through the process of blocking YouTube on your Smart TV.
While the exact steps may vary slightly depending on the make and model of your Smart TV, the general procedure remains the same. Some Smart TVs even offer a straightforward approach, allowing you to access apps and block them without having to engage parental controls.
Here’s how to block YouTube on some of the most popular Smart TV models:
How to Block YouTube on Samsung Smart TV:
- Press the Home button on your remote and navigate to the Settings icon.
- Scroll down to the General tab and select “Parental Controls.”
- Enter your PIN if prompted.
- Scroll down and select “Block by Channel.”
- Enter “YouTube” in the search bar and select it.
- Select “Block” and confirm your choice.
How do I Block YouTube on my LG Smart TV:
- Press the Settings button on your remote and navigate to the “All Settings” option.
- Scroll down to “Safety” and select “Child Lock.”
- Enter your PIN if prompted.
- Select “Apps” and scroll down to find “YouTube.”
- Select “Block” and confirm your choice.
How to Block YouTube on Sony Smart TV:
- Press the Home button on your remote and navigate to “Settings.”
- Scroll down to “Parental Lock” and select it.
- Enter your PIN if prompted.
- Select “Channel Block” and then “Add Blocked Channel.”
- Enter “YouTube” and select it.
- Select “Done” and confirm your choice.
How to Block YouTube on Your Vizio Smart TV?
If you own a Vizio TV and want to block certain applications, such as YouTube, you might find it slightly challenging compared to Samsung and LG TVs. However, it is not impossible.
- To begin, you will need to access your Parental Control settings, which are responsible for restricting access to certain applications. However, the location of this setting can differ depending on the model of your Vizio TV, so you may need to refer to the user manual for guidance.
- After locating the Parental Control setting, you will be required to input a specific PIN to gain entry to the Parental Control Settings. Once you have entered the code, you can block specific applications like YouTube that you don’t want your children or anyone else to access.
- Depending on your Vizio TV model, you may need to input your PIN to access the blocked apps or change the settings to resume access to them.
How to Block YouTube on Your Hisense Smart TV?
If you own a Hisense Smart TV and want to restrict access to certain content, you can do so by setting up parental controls. While some Smart TVs come with built-in parental controls, Hisense requires you to activate them before you can lock specific apps like YouTube. Here are the steps to follow:
- Access the menu on your Hisense Smart TV using your remote control. Press the “Quick Setup Menu” button and use the right arrow to navigate to the full menu.
- On the full menu page, select “System” and then click on “Parental Controls”.
- Press the “OK” button on your remote control, and you will be prompted to enter a PIN on the “Enter PIN Window” that appears. The default PIN is usually set to 0000, so enter this and press “OK” to complete the setup for parental controls. You will notice a color change from gray to highlighted, indicating that you can now adjust the settings as you please.
- Select “Locks” and press “OK” to turn on all the locks.
- You can now select the features you want to lock or restrict. These features include Channel Block, Block Time, Input Block, App Restriction, Program Block, and Change PIN.
- To block YouTube, select “App Restriction” and choose “YouTube” from the list of apps. Then, block the app by following the instructions on the screen.
Note that the steps described above are for the Hisense H5507 model, but most other Hisense models will likely follow a similar procedure. However, if you are unsure, refer to the user manual for your specific model.
How to Block Youtube on TCL Smart TVs
The TCL Smart TV is powered by Roku, a popular platform known for its affordability and high-quality features. However, the parental controls operate differently on Smart TVs and require some familiarization to set up properly.
Since Roku doesn’t own YouTube, the process of blocking it may seem a bit complicated, but with a little creativity, it’s possible to work through it and implement the necessary restrictions.
It’s worth noting that with Roku, you cannot block apps entirely. You have two options: either remove the app from the Roku device or manage the content using the app’s parental control settings. If you choose to remove an app, you must add a PIN to prevent anyone from re-installing the app without your permission.
To remove YouTube, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Set up a PIN
- Go to the Home Page of your Roku device using the remote and select ‘Settings’.
- Scroll down and click on ‘Parental Controls.’
- Enter a four-digit PIN code twice and click on OK.
- Your PIN is set, and you can use it to access parental control settings at any time.
Step 2: Remove YouTube
- Select ‘My Channels’ on the main screen using your Roku remote.
- Scroll to find YouTube and click on the options button (usually represented by a star) on your remote.
- Choose ‘Remove Channel’ and click on the OK button.
- Confirm that you want to remove YouTube by pressing OK, and it will be removed from your channel list.
If you don’t want to remove it entirely, you can choose to hide it from the Home screen. To do this, go to the Settings Page, click on Home Screen, and select ‘Hide (movie, news, or TV Store).’ Choose the app you want to hide, and it won’t be available on the home screen.
Remember that these steps are easily reversible, and adding back removed apps like YouTube will require your PIN. So, make sure no one has access to it.
How to Block YouTube on a Sharp Smart TV
to remove YouTube from your Sharp Smart TV? While it may not be possible to block the app, removing it from your device is a simple process. Here’s how to do it:
- Begin by accessing your Smart TV’s Home screen using your remote.
- Next, use the arrow buttons on your remote to navigate through the menu until you find the list of Apps.
- Once you’ve located the app list, scroll through it until you find YouTube.
- Select the app, and then click on either ‘Remove’ or ‘Delete’ to remove it from your device.
By following these steps, you can successfully remove YouTube from your Sharp Smart TV. Now, you can enjoy uninterrupted streaming without any distractions.
How Do I Block YouTube on My Element Brand Specific Smart TV?
Element Smart TVs can run on a variety of platforms, including Fire TV, Android TV, Roku TV, and their own brand-specific platform. Each of these platforms has its own unique method for configuring and adjusting parental controls.
To get started, you’ll first need to set up parental controls and then manage the apps on your TV accordingly. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process.
Step 1: Setting Up Parental Controls
To set up parental controls, follow these simple steps:
- Using your remote control, access the Smart TV’s menu by clicking on the ‘Menu’ button.
- On the Menu page, scroll to TV settings and click on it. A new menu will appear.
- Click on ‘Lock’ and enter a four-digit pin. The default pin is usually set to 0000, so use this pin to lock the menu. You can change this pin at any time to a unique one.
Step 2: Managing Apps
Once you’ve set up parental controls, you can then manage the apps on your TV, including blocking YouTube. Here’s how:
- Go to the Menu page on your remote control.
- Scroll to TV settings and select ‘App Settings.’
- Clicking on ‘App Settings’ will bring up a list of all the apps installed on your Smart TV. Under each app, you’ll see a ‘DEACTIVATE APP’ option. Click on YouTube and deactivate it.
- You may be prompted to enter your pin to complete the deactivation process and prevent the app from being re-activated without your consent.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to easily disable YouTube on your Element brand-specific smart TV, giving you greater control over the content accessible on your TV.
How do I block YouTube on My Element Android Smart TV?
The process is simple and can be done using a restricted profile and content filtering. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Create a restricted profile
Start by creating a restricted profile on your Element Android Smart TV. To do this, go to the Settings icon located at the bottom left of your TV’s home screen. Scroll to ‘Personal’ and click on ‘Security & Restrictions’. Next, click on ‘Restricted Profile’ and select Settings. You will be prompted to enter a pin. If you already have one, enter it. Otherwise, you can create a new pin.
The default system pin is 1234. Once you’ve entered your pin, select the apps that you want to allow on the profile. YouTube should be marked as ‘Not Allowed’. Return to the previous screen and click on ‘Enter Restricted Profile’ to access the new profile. Only the apps you allowed will be visible on this profile.
Step 2: Restrict content access in the store
With the restricted profile, it’s important to limit what users can install from the Google Play Store. To do this, click on the Google Play Store App from your Smart TV’s Home Screen. Scroll down to ‘Settings’ at the bottom of the menu list, then choose ‘Content Filtering’. Select the ‘high maturity’ level for the apps that show up in the Play Store.
Enter the default pin (1234) or your preferred pin and move on to ‘Purchase Authorization’. Here, you can choose how often authentication should be done when purchasing an app on the Play Store. Select ‘For All Purchases through Google Play on this Device’.
In some cases, apps may require additional permission within their settings to filter and restrict inappropriate content. By following these steps, you can effectively disable YouTube on your Element Android Smart TV.
Once you’ve successfully blocked YouTube on your Smart TV, it will no longer be accessible for the period of time that you’ve specified. Keep in mind that your Smart TV’s user manual can also be a valuable resource in identifying features and functionalities that may not be immediately apparent.
Setting up parental controls on your Smart TV is an important step in ensuring that your family members are not exposed to inappropriate content. By following the steps outlined above, you can block YouTube and other apps with ease and enjoy a safe viewing experience.
How to Set Up Parental Control on Smart TVs
Beyond simply blocking YouTube with a password, parental controls on your Smart TV offer even more options, allowing you to block any application, not just YouTube.
The methods of setting up parental controls may differ based on the brand of your Smart TV. Nevertheless, we’ll provide you with a brief guide on how to control parental controls on the brands we previously mentioned.
To begin, consult your Smart TV’s manual or user guide for specific instructions on how to enable parental controls. This may entail accessing a specific menu or utilizing a remote control shortcut.
Once you’ve enabled parental controls, you can customize settings to suit your preferences. Some Smart TVs allow you to set time limits for viewing or block specific programming based on age ratings.
It’s also crucial to set up a password to prevent unauthorized access to parental control settings.
Parental Controls on a Samsung Smart TV
Samsung Smart TVs offer advanced parental control features to ensure a safe and secure viewing experience for your family. These features allow you to restrict access to inappropriate content by setting up rating limitations.
You can easily set up these controls by accessing your TV’s settings and selecting “Program Rating Lock Settings” under the Broadcasting option. Once you’re there, you can choose which rating categories you want to restrict.
Parental Controls for LG Smart TV
Your LG Smart TV is equipped with an exclusive feature known as Safety Mode that allows you to set parental controls to safeguard your children’s viewing experience.
To activate this mode, navigate to the Home screen and select the Settings icon, followed by the Safety option, and turn it ON.
Once you’ve reached the Safety Mode, you can personalize it according to your desired preferences and requirements to ensure your children’s safety and security.
Parental Controls for Vizio Smart TVs
Vizio’s Smart TV comes with an array of parental control features that allow you to monitor and restrict your child’s TV viewing. By utilizing these controls, you can ensure that your child only watches age-appropriate content.
Similar to blocking YouTube on your Vizio TV, you can use these controls to restrict access to any other application on your TV. This is a great way to prevent your child from watching inappropriate content on apps like Netflix or Hulu.
Moreover, Vizio’s parental control settings allow you to block specific ratings as well. This means that if any show or movie exceeds the age limit you have set, it will require a PIN to play. This ensures that your child is not exposed to any unsuitable content.
Parental Controls for Sony Smart TVs
Sony’s Android Smart TV stands out from its peers due to its approach toward parental controls. Unlike other smart TVs that offer parental control over the entire system, Sony Smart TV provides a restricted profile that minors in the household can access once the settings have been customized to fit the family’s requirements.
This unique feature enables parents to monitor and control the content that their children can access on the television, providing a safer environment for kids to watch their favorite shows and movies. With customized settings, parents can set limitations on the content that is deemed inappropriate for their children’s age group.
By creating a restricted profile, parents can be confident that their children are not exposed to any unwanted content and can enjoy their TV time without any worries. Although the approach may differ from traditional parental controls, Sony’s Smart TV still provides a reliable and efficient way to ensure a safer and more enjoyable viewing experience for all.
A convenient feature available in most applications is the in-app settings, which allow users to customize their experience to their liking.
Popular streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO GO, Vudu, and others offer parental control settings within their respective apps. This feature allows parents to restrict access to adult content by requiring a PIN before viewing.
While configuring settings individually for each app may seem cumbersome compared to doing so for the entire TV, it provides greater control and flexibility. It’s worth noting that YouTube does not offer this option.
How do I child-lock YouTube on my Smart TV?
If you’re looking to enable child lock or parental controls for YouTube on your Smart TV, the process may vary depending on the brand and model of your TV. However, here is a general guide on how to set up parental controls for YouTube on a Smart TV:
- Open the Family Link app on your device. You can download it from the Google Play Store or the App Store if you don’t have it installed already.
- Select your child’s profile within the Family Link app.
- Tap on “Controls” or “Content restrictions” (the exact wording may differ based on your device).
- Look for the option related to YouTube. It might be listed as “YouTube Kids Settings” or “YouTube Restrictions.”
- Make sure to adjust the settings specifically for YouTube, as the general content restrictions may not apply to the YouTube app.
- Within the YouTube settings, you should have the ability to customize various options. These can include restricting certain content categories, setting viewing time limits, and enabling or disabling search functionality.
- Configure the settings according to your preferences and your child’s needs. Make sure to select the appropriate level of restriction that suits your requirements.
- Save the changes once you have adjusted the settings to your satisfaction.
Keep in mind that the process may differ slightly based on the version of the Family Link app and the Smart TV you’re using. Additionally, some Smart TVs might have their own built-in parental control features that you can access through the TV’s settings menu. It’s advisable to consult the user manual or the manufacturer’s website for specific instructions related to your Smart TV model.
How do I stop my child from using YouTube on my TV?
To prevent your child from using YouTube on your TV, you can follow these steps:
- Open the YouTube app on your smart TV.
- Navigate to the sidebar menu or settings menu. The exact location may vary depending on your TV’s interface.
- Scroll down or navigate to the “Settings” option.
- Look for the “Restricted Mode” setting and select it.
- Toggle the “Restricted Mode” option to “On” or “Enabled.”
Enabling Restricted Mode helps filter out potentially mature or inappropriate content on YouTube, making it safer for children to use. Keep in mind that Restricted Mode is not foolproof and may not filter out all inappropriate content, so it’s still important to supervise your child’s activities and set additional parental controls if available on your TV or through your internet service provider.
Is YouTube restricted mode good for kids?
YouTube’s Restricted Mode is a feature designed to filter out potentially mature or inappropriate content on the platform. It can be useful for parents and guardians who want to provide a safer viewing experience for children. However, the effectiveness of Restricted Mode may vary, and it’s important to understand its limitations.
In general, Restricted Mode does a decent job of blocking obviously inappropriate videos that contain nudity, excessive violence, or obscene language. It employs a combination of automated systems and human reviewers to identify and filter content. YouTube’s system relies on various signals, such as video titles, descriptions, and metadata, to determine the appropriateness of a video.
While Restricted Mode can be beneficial, it’s essential to note that it’s not foolproof. There are certain limitations to its effectiveness. For instance, it may not catch all inappropriate content, especially if it’s less explicit or if the video has not been reviewed or flagged by users. Additionally, the system may sometimes be overly cautious and mistakenly restrict content that is suitable for children.
It’s crucial for parents and guardians to understand that no content filtering system is perfect. It’s always recommended to combine Restricted Mode with other parental control measures, such as monitoring your child’s online activities, setting viewing time limits, and discussing internet safety with them.
How to put parental controls on youtube on smart tv
To put parental controls on YouTube on a smart TV, you can follow these steps:
- On Your TV:
- Launch the YouTube app on your smart TV.
- Navigate to the settings menu within the app.
- Look for the “Restricted Mode” option and turn it on.
- Once enabled, it will filter out content that is not suitable for children.
- On Mobile Devices:
- Open the YouTube app on your mobile device and sign in to your account.
- Tap on your profile picture or avatar in the top-right corner to access the account menu.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Tap on “General” or “General settings” (depending on the app version).
- Look for the “Restricted Mode” option and toggle it on. This will filter out potentially mature content.
- Exit the settings, and the changes will be applied to YouTube on your smart TV as well.
It’s important to note that enabling the restricted mode will limit the available content to TV programs rated TV-Y, TV-Y7, YT-Y7-FV, G, and PG. YouTube videos, including some network TV shows and all YouTube shows, will not be available while this setting is enabled.
Additionally, when the restricted mode is turned on:
- Programs not meeting the specified ratings won’t appear in search results, “Next,” or “Recommended” sections.
- Such programs will be removed from the Home and Library tabs.
- On the Live tab, a channel may still be visible, but the content will be unplayable, and live previews will be disabled.
Remember that this setting applies to the specific device you enable it on. If you have multiple members in your household with their own devices, you’ll need to turn on the “Allow TV-Y, TV-Y7, G, and PG” setting for each individual device tied to an account.